In a nutshell

I ran a little gallon Kratky trial with buttercrunch lettuce- a loose head bibb type- the last couple months, and have to report resounding success.  Pic below is nine weeks old, milk jug container, under an LED shop light I bought at Valu for about $13.  Best head of lettuce I've ever grown.

 

More on that later.  I'll post some step by step pics and (hopefully) learn how to make a slideshow too.

So to date I have gardened on grade, in raised beds, global buckets and finally using Kratky hydroponics.  Not everything can be grown in all these systems- I don't think zucchini will make in the global buckets or hydro- that's one that has to stay in the ground.  Anything that over winters is ground only too- for me that's garlic and walking onions.  Perennials obviously stay in the ground.
Tomatoes might be possible in Kratky, but I think they'd require a 30 gallon (or larger) reservoir.  Let's try them in global buckets.

So here's my gardening insights in a nutshell: 

Raised beds trump on grade for any and everything

Global buckets trump raised beds for anything that will fit

Kratky trumps everything for lettuce, anyway.

Please note the word 'trump' above is a card playing term, not a reference to the current president.

Go grow something.






Comments