Hydroponics- Oh MY!

Hydroponics, NFT, Ebb & Flow, Nutrient Density, pH- spend a few weeks on the web in red eye research mode and some of the alphabet soup begins to make sense.  Pumps, returns, hoses, drains, reservoirs, and then you find aquaponics, floating rafts, nitrogen cycles, oh my I'm lost.  The technology is overwhelming, and good luck if something comes unplugged burns out or the power goes out.  Power out may not be as bad as power coming back on and you have a flood.  You can grow $5.00 worth of lettuce and you only need to invest $200 in equipment and electricity!

Sooner or later you'll come across the Kratky method, some professor in Hawaii I think it was developed it in the 2009.  No pumps, no oxygen tracking, no circulating system or need to add nutrients.  Like anything else, there are tons, maybe millions of videos vlogs and blogs that tell or show you how to be an expert.

I've watched A LOT of them, and all I can say is wow.  I'm not gonna make my own how-to video, or take pictures with captions- I couldn't do anywhere near as well as this video.  It comes from the Seminole County Government, University of Florida, probably some sort of cooperative extension?  so there's no gain for the person or the sponsor.  And how can you resist the 'Set It And Forget It' lead in?

Everything you need to know to start your own hydroponic garden for close to nothing:



Its so easy the government can do it.

I ran one Kratky bucket last year, but my results were inconclusive, in many ways.  The plants I put in it grew, but they were kinda useless.  I didn't have any seedlings so I threw some volunteer leaf lettuce (the kind that grow on their own near where you grew them last year) and I think they were a year old- they bolted immediately and faded.  I'll do better this year, and make a new post.  

In the meantime, go grow something.

Buffalo Bif

Comments